Merriam-Webster defines a ''calling' as
''...a strong inner impulse towards a particular course of action especially when accompanied by conviction of divine influence.''
What is my calling or how do I discover my true calling? That's a question that I am often asked by people. I assume because it is because I carry myself like someone who has found theirs' & is living it. If you ask me what my calling is, I would probably say it is in doing anything which allows me to make use of my creativity & that encompasses but is not limited to sewing, fashion, cooking, writing, storytelling through the use of pictures & videos. I don't remember how I started out, what I know is that my creativity comes out naturally, it's something I don't need to think much about, it just flows. And I know that for some people, this is not the case. So, I did a little research online & came up with a few tips which might help someone who is embarking on a journey to finding or even re-discovering their calling;
- Let your values guide you. Start by making a list of your core values (these are the qualities that make you, you, and not who you think you should be, but rather who you already are).
- Make time to express your creativity. This can be done by setting aside a few minutes everyday to draw, write, cook, garden, sew or simply daydream.
- Remind yourself of what you loved to do as a kid. As children, most of us were not overwhelmed with the challenges that come with adulthood & we were able to just live & live our best lives. Try & remember what such moments involved.
- Be connected with your inner self & take notice of what feels good, connected, joyful, expressive, loving or purposeful. Notice times in your daily life that you feel like this. What are you doing? Who are you with? Do more of it.
- Turn down distractions whether it be your phone, TV, music or even people. Take some time off to listen to your inner self.
- Pay attention to what keeps coming back. A nagging or recurring thought/idea can give you clues on what your calling may be.
- Don't be scared to try out new things. The process of finding joy isn't passive & a more fulfilling life won't just appear out of nowhere. Knowing what's right for you will require trying out a lot of things that are wrong.
- Find a way to connect with something outside yourself daily. Go out for a walk, practice meditation, explore what religion & spirituality means to you.
- Mix-up your routine. Change your environment, this will help in shifting your perspective. Something as simple as taking a different route home from work or bringing your morning coffee outside can make a big difference. Find the adventure in the everyday by saying yes to odd opportunities.
- Exercise patience. Discovering & honing your path in life doesn't happen overnight; it's a continual journey. Be compassionate with yourself along the way. Treat yourself, your practices & the world with patience. It will take some intention & effort to figure out your calling & how you can live a life that is in alignment with yourself & others.
- And last but definitely not least, give yourself permission to change your mind. Learn how to let people go. Forgive old grudges & get rid of anything that is weighing you down & you will realize how much energy & time you've been wasting.